Sunday, October 4, 2009

Asian Englishes


















In the last topic we saw that there is evidence that Asians often understand each other's English better than that of Americans or Britons. I find this quite interesting, given that there are so many different kinds of English spoken in Asia.

Even as a non-Asian, I can easily tell whether someone is from the Philippines or Thailand or the Indian Subcontinent when they talk English. Locals can do much better than me, of course. Most Malaysians and Singaporeans can tell each other's English apart. Malaysians can tell whether someone is from the East or West of their country and whether they have a Malay, Chinese or Indian background.

Since 1998, the Tokyo-based journal Asian Englishes (http://www.alc.co.jp/asian-e/) has published many articles about the rich and well-established Englishes of Southeast and South Asia (but fewer about northeast Asia, where English tends to be used as a foreign rather than a first or second language). It is not surprising that Asia's great linguistic and cultural diversity is reflected in its English. But I wonder if there is anything distinctly 'Asian' that links Asian Englishes? Is it possible that Korean and Pakistani English have more in common with each other than with Russian English, for instance?

As far as pronunciation is concerned, many Asians avoid clusters of consonants since these are rare in Asian languages. So they add vowels (Sri Lankan children attend 'ischool') or drop consonants (when Cantonese say they feel 'so cold' the two words rhyme). However, similar features are also found in many non-Asian Englishes.

What about grammar? As mentioned before, Indians tend to favour the progressive aspect of verbs ('I am not understanding you') , and this tendency can also be found among some Malaysians and Filipinos. Tags like 'will you?' and 'didn't they?' are simplified all over Asia, with Singaporeans preferring 'isn't it?' or even 'ah?', and Sri Lankans using 'no?'. The verb 'to be' and many pronouns are often omitted ('He so lazy', 'Can afford?'). And the active voice is frequently used instead of the passive ('Vitamin A can find in carrots'). But again, similar practices can be found outside Asia.

As for vocabulary, it is more likely to divide than unite Asian English speakers. Words originating in Britain or America get new local meanings, so in Sri Lanka an abbot is a maid and a basketwoman is a talkative one. Some words are borrowed from local languages, especially for food (balut in the Philippines) and clothing (sari and dhoti in India). Others are taken from the languages of the various Europeans who once colonised Asia: thus Philippines English is littered with Spanish words like barrio (neighbourhood), merrienda (afternoon tea) and estafa (corruption).

Many Asian English words and expressions are entirely new. Hence Malaysians call their badminton players shuttlers. A project about to be implemented in India is said to be 'on the anvil' (in the UK it would be 'on the cards'). Sri Lankans describe the increasing participation of monks in politics as saffronisation (because of the colour of Buddhist robes).

In fact there are some words that appear in many Asian Englishes, such as Malay terms like amok and arrack that have travelled to India and beyond, and expressions used by British-trained administrators such as to gazette (to publish a new regulation) that are hardly used in Britain itself. Muslims across the continent include Arabic expressions such as syolat (prayer) in their English, much as Buddhists include Sanskrit words. But in general, the main thing Asian Englishes have in common is their sheer diversity.





8 comments:

  1. Three common features of Asian Englishes-"Vocabulary","Grammer","Pronunciation",
    seems very important when we learn another language.Without grammer,We will tend to use one-word English conversation. If I can't speak correct pronunciation,It seems difficult for anyone to understand my English. If I don't have large vocabulary,my colloquial expression is limited.We have to balance these three facters equally. The most important thing is that we should avoid using "Japanese-
    language filter" for learning another language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this blog, and I feel it is important to know diversity. Because there are many own cultures, religion, pronunciation and so on in Asia. And if I know there are diversities in English, maybe it is easier to communicate with foreigner.
    I also think foreign language is interesting. So I want to study foreign language more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised at Asians often understand each other's English better than that of Americans or Britons. I think Japanese like me don't understand that Asians avoid clusters of consonants and add vowels or drop consonants. And grammar make simplified or use one word. English one word have many meaning, so vocabulary is important. It's important to convey feeling use appropriate expression and appropriate word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. for the first time I leasn that Asians often understand each other's English better than that of Americans or Britons. this is very interesting me.I I understood that vaguely. It is easy to understand that japanse English teachers English but forgain teacher is
    very diffcult. Too Sentences written by the foreigner are not understood easily. I suggest that I want to talk about this column by the colloquium.

    I want to talk about this column by the colloquium.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if foreinger will worry about not recognizing local English. Of couse, local English is important for this country. But will foreigner be confused? So I think we need to tresure English orginating in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder that there are many Asians English. when I study in the U.S., I can hear the Americans English,but I can't hear the Asians English. He's from Vietnam. He's English can be talk with Americans. But I can't hear his English. Why? I want to study Japanese English.What different is Japanese English and American English???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Asian became using English under Britain occupation before. And the occupation had finished, their English has been gradually changing.
    The language is said to be a power.When Englishes that Asian are using become the majority,once power balance between Britain and Asia would reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 830
    I'm Japanese, and I think it is easier for me to understand Asian people's English than native English speakers'. That is because almost all of Asian English speakers learn English as a foreign language. And they know difficulty of listening English. So, they speak English clearly as non-native English speakers can understand easily. Consequently, we Asian people think that Asian people's English is easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete