Sunday, September 27, 2009

International intelligibility

What kind of English is most widely intelligible? Research by the University of Hawaii's Larry Smith suggests that Asians tend to understand each other's English pronunciation more easily than that of native speakers from America or Britain. Jean-Paul Nerriere found something similar when observing Koreans and Japanese during his time as vice-president of IBM. As well as pronunciation he thought the key to increasing intelligibility was to simplify grammar and vocabulary, and now recommends that people all over the world be taught a simplified English that he has labelled 'Globish'.

While students all over the world continue to aim at sounding like native speakers (especially Americans), British linguist Jenny Jenkins suggests they should simply concentrate on a common 'international' pronunciation of certain sounds that frequently lead to misunderstanding. British-Thai educator Christopher Wright believes his students should differentiate sounds such as 'l' and 'r', but other teachers advise learners to stop worrying too much about individual sounds and instead to concentrate on distinguishing whole words. Thus it should not matter how you say 'butter', 'batter' and 'better' as long as you say each of them differently.

Unfortunately, even native speakers disagree about which words should be distinguished. Most Scots pronounce 'cot' and 'caught' the same, whereas Australians distinguish them. Most English people pronounce 'caught' and 'court' the same while most Americans differentiate them.

Working with fellow American linguist Cecil Nelson, Smith identified three key elements in successful communication: intelligibility (recognising familiar words) ; comprehensibility (knowing their possible meanings); and interpretability (understanding what speakers mean). Thus we need knowledge of various pronunciations, the various meanings that words may have, and the way speakers from different cultures vary.

So are Indians wrong to describe their favourite film to Canadian friends as deadly? Should Filipinos take more care when warning Australians they are going to tell a green joke (which in Sydney would be called a blue one)? The problem is that native speakers also differ among themselves when it comes to vocabulary: an American man is likely to get an amused reaction if he goes into a shop in London asking for 'suspenders', for example.
And what about grammar? Many Asians understand each other perfectly well despite dropping the third-person 's' and sticking to the present tense. Indeed they might ask why it is considered wrong to say 'She write' but okay to say 'She can' or 'She may', and why we are not supposed to say 'I go to the bank yesterday' when 'I shut my account last week' is all right.

As has been argued in this blog before, there isn't really a standard form of English, just some forms that are better understood (or admired) by certain people. What is important is to increase our knowledge of linguistic and cultural differences and adjust accordingly. As Smith has argued, we do not need to make ourselves intelligible to everyone, just to those we want to communicate with.












6 comments:

  1. I read your blog.I am surprised I think the English native speaker is spoken is the real English.When I was 17 years old I went Australia for hometay.In the morning I studyed English at University.At first lesson is the distinction of r and l.But every student incu lding me did not understand the difference.the lesson continued three days but we could not.
    Feeling of despair we can not master english
    eternity.But I read this blog I know the glolish and there is various of English.The more globalize the more English is change close to people not mather tonge I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think Asians tend to understand each other's English pronunciation more easily than that of native speakers, especially Japanese. For example, if someone ask me about difference pronunciation "l" and "r", I can not explain. Japanese English education teach concentrate on grammar, but pronunciation practically no lesson.
    When communicate with global person, need language which all people can understand.
    Creating completely new language is impossible. I think necessary thing is simple expression, simple word and intelligible conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also aimed at sounding like native speakers because I think it is natural. When I went to Britain, I studied pronunciations at the first. So I'm surprised at the blog.
    But in the fact, non-native speakers are more than native speakers. Thus I also think it is important to know various pronunciations and meanings. And I try thinking and speaking more simple way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about which words should be distinguished. Because most Scots pronouce 'cot'and 'caught' the same and they know that. However the people who will meet Scots for the first time won't know that. So I think we need to distiguished words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. English is comparatively a simpl language.
    But as long as native, other people cant use parfect pronunciation and grammar.For example,When American or British speak Japanese,they pronunce it putting accents.
    I think it is important to understand other's feelings.
    It is best situation that everyone use beautiful English in formal place.
    SO among countries it is no mistakes in meaning.
    But all Asians is next to impossible to pronounce correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many Japanese people can't talk to native English people. Why not? I think they haven't trained to talk for native English people. I've been to U.S. to study English. There are a lot of Japanese In the language school. They are okay to write English grammar, a vocabulary. So they are high level class. But, after 2days, they hoped to belong to low level class. I asked for their. " Why do they hope to belong to the class?" he said " I can't talk to the teacher...." When I heard that, I thought I needed to train to talk to native English people.
    So many Japanese people need that.

    ReplyDelete