Friday, November 13, 2009

Funny in English - or just funny English?

At home in Tokyo recently, I received a phone call from a lady wanting to sell me a burial plot. I replied (in Japanese) that, as a foreigner, I would return to my country when I felt like dying. She praised me for being so practical, we both laughed and the short conversation ended pleasantly. Later that day I bought an ice cream from a convenience store. Handing over my money, I told the sales assistant “Please don’t bother to heat it up for me.” The result: a puzzled stare. Sometimes humour works, and sometimes it doesn’t.

Humour is less likely to succeed when people have different language backgrounds. We need a good command of grammar and vocabulary both to make and to understand jokes in another language – if we have to think, or
ask for an explanation, the humour disappears. Also, we need to know when it is appropriate to use humour. Japanese, for example, tend to be rather serious with strangers (only foreigners make jokes in Tokyo convenience stores), whereas Indonesians have few such inhibitions. Another problem is that it may be difficult to know when someone from a different culture is joking. Many Australians and Britons, for example, prefer ‘dry’ humour and keep a straight face when joking.

Few comedians work in foreign countries. Japanese Ogata Issey has given performances in London and New York, but using Japanese with English subtitles and relying on visual jokes. On the other hand, Mark Rowswell, a Canadian who is very fluent in Chinese, is famous throughout China as Da Shan (‘Big Mountain’), a performer of a traditional form of comedy known as Xiangsheng


A recent Japanese TV show took up the theme of cross-cultural humour. Local comedy duo Obeikaa performed for bilingual youngsters from an international school. Then, a Japan-based Australian, Chad Mullane, performed before them in Japanese. Mullane got more laughs, but it wasn‘t a fair competition since his Japanese was much better than Obeikaa’s English.


Teacher-trainer Luke Prodromou has studied how English native speakers bend language to demonstrate cultural solidarity with each other. For example, they may describe light rain as ‘kittens and puppies’ (instead of ‘cats and dogs’, a typical expression for heavy rain). Yet when non-native speakers try to bend English, native
speakers often think they have made a mistake. So when one British teacher said “You can say that again!” (meaning ‘I completely agree with you’) and her non-native colleague joked back “Ok, I’ll say it again”, the Briton thought she had been misunderstood. When I was in Seoul I saw a shop called Buy the way. To me it was clear that the shopkeeper was playing with the words by and buy. But my friend thought it was a spelling mistake.

Of course some funny English is a mistake. I don’t think humour was intended by the Indian hotel that announced “No one is stranger here” or the Iraqi hotel notice that said “No consummation whatever may take place in this foyer.” As a foreigner in Japan I am constantly causing humour without intention. Trying to tell my students that a judge had given a decision in court (hanketsu wo kudasaimashita) , I actually said hanketsu wo dashimashita (he showed half of his bottom).

Skill in humour is an indication of having made a language one’s own. www.talkingcock.com is a website run by people who are fluent in standard Singaporean English (which is similar to British English) but fascinated by Singlish, the colourful mix of English, Hokkien and Malay spoken in the streets but discouraged by the government. When a trailer for their film, Talkingcock.com –The Movie, was banned because of its use of ‘bad English’, they remade it with exactly the same words but spoken in a very posh British accent. This made the new trailer even funnier.

11 comments:

  1. Jokes make people laugh and relaxed. Or are people who can make jokes relaxed?
    Laughing loudly in the pablic place is not good manner in Japan, but it sounds a bit sad in some senses for me. Especially in this economically bad situation.
    One of my best friends who is from Indonesia always makes jokes on me. Though It sounded rude expression sometimes for other people and even I couldn't understand it in the beginning, but now we missed laughing together so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog.I like comedy so this topic is very interesting for me. I hardly see foreign comedy films.but understanding diffrent countory of humour I borrow Amrican comedy it`s name is Borat. This film get No1 in 24 countries. Mainly English-speaking area.
    My opinion to wath this movie is that I think this movie make japanse people and people who
    don`t speak English bad feeling.I can`t understand what funny.Some people dislike the culture of English to watch this movie
    . Actually I feel so.To understand diffrent country of humor is the very diffcult or can`t I think.I want to know the member of this blog what feel to watch this movie so if you watch this movie Plese write your opnion this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think humour is very important. I envy the person who have humour. When I was asked someone a wit question, I can't reply spicy answer and I can't say nice jokes. I think joke is a kind of gamble. If I said jokes, the person could understand this joke, this room would fill with laughter, but the person couldn't understand what I say time of this room is stop a moment. Then I may be feel lonely and awkward. Joke and a little strange English is funny. When these use we must be careful, suit situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these interesting comments on humour. I think it is quite an important (and, ironically, a serious) topic. Of course we don't always use humour to create good relationships. We also use it to be critical or unkind. So I understand Shuei's comment about her friend's jokes being both enjoyable and embarrassing, and Ryutaro's idea that we need some courage to use humour. As for the movie 'Borat', it was made by a British actor who in my opinion is very talented, but he is more effective on TV than on film. His humour is rather aggressive because he tries to challenge people and take them out of the zone in which they feel comfortable. It is certainly not a 'nice' kind of humour. When I watched this film I found some of it funny, some of it annoying, and some of it really disconcerting. But I think a film that can make me feel uncomfortable, even when I watch it in a safe and comfortable place, is quite powerful. I wonder what other blog followers think about this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think humor is important and very interesting. In fact, I feel Japanese tend to say seriously and not so much use humor than foreign people. It is not bad, but sometimes humor is needed, I think.
    And each person have different ideas about humor or rude expression in the last class. So I realize the difficulty to use jokes with who have differnt culture and who don't native speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand humor is a complex notion.Even in Japan,there are some differences toward a sense of humor between people in Kansai and people in other area.I'm sure people lives in kansai can make jokes better than people in other area. I agree Ryutaro's comment .Getting a laugh is very dificult,otherwise we don't need comedian.
    Like "Manzai"or "Yose" ,Our sense of humor is related to Japanese culture or sometimes history.It seems difficult for foreigner to understand those fascination.
    p.s I haven't received additional readings yet. Please send me again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think humor is important and difficult on conversation. humor is necessary for make relationships.but i think when we make a joke on conversation we careful to situation.but so difficult find a suit situation.

    ryosuke

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think we need a good command of grammar nad vocabulary to make and to understand jokes in also think we need a good command of grammar nad vocabulary to make and to understand jokes in another think we need a good command of grammar nad vocabulary to make and to understand jokes in another languages.Because we must understand jokes when we have comunincation with foreginer.If we don't understnad jokes,we can't have comunication with foreigner frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chad Mullane was on some NHK English teaching show too.
    http://www.japansugoi.com/wordpress/nhk-english-learning-show-with-chad-mullane/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Recently Japanese comedian have a fascinating trick.Not only a simpl homonym.But a certain foreigner don,t think it fun.

    The other day I watched a America-based Japanese comedian 's talk on TV. He,s popular in America.However he was slipping on Japanese programme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Native-speakers tend to make a joke when they are talking. All languages could make a joke in various forms. But how to use it is differ from one country to another. In my country, we rarely make a joke in our conversation. It is used in comedy show or manzai so often. On the other hand, In native-speakers country, making jokes tend to be a part of their conversation. it is clearly cultural difference(different backgrounds). Also making a joke could be more friendly when we met for the first time. So I love funny English and all of jokes.

    ReplyDelete